My dogs love this soup more than their normal food I think! I make it for them regularly because it is a good immune booster and a fun snack. You can freeze the soup in ice trays or serve it as soup (cold is fine). This recipe feeds three dogs (total of 165lbs) for one week. You will need less ingredients for less dogs. You do need to be home for a good chunk of time for the soup to simmer and extract all the good stuff from the bones.
4 Lamb Shanks (chicken, turkey, beef, etc. work too as long as the bone is included)
1/4 Cup apple cider vinegar
Optional ingredients: chopped green beans, carrots, broccoli
1. Bring 4.5 quarts of water to boil in a pot or heat water on high in a crockpot
2. Once water is boiling, pour in 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
3. Add in the lamb shanks after
4. Cook lamb shanks in boiling water for 20-30 minutes and then take out
5. Take out the lamb shanks and cut the meat off them and return bones back to the pot of water. Turn the water down to a simmer and cover for 12 hours if you can. If working with a crockpot you can leave everything in for up to 24 hours
6. With the meat from the bones you can either chop it up finely in a food processor or use the chunks of meat you cut. Refrigerate the meat until it is ready to go back in the broth
7. Remove the bones once the broth is ready and add in the meat you refrigerated. You can steam or add in the chopped vegetables
9. Mix together and serve to your canine kids!
Serving size notes: My dogs range in different sizes, some get more, some get less. I usually only give about a cup and a half at any given time.